Recent Posts

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Quote #3: Dolce far niente

I was recently doing something that involved a timer and realized my attention span is about 9 seconds long. And its not that I am not a productive person... on the contrary, its just that about every 9 seconds I switch gears. With that being said, I found this week's quote to be a quite a challenge. a whole sixty seconds... So then in anger management why do they only have you count backward from 10? So I challenged myself to do ABSOLUTELY nothing for 60 seconds every day. Now this may sound ridiculous but it I'm talking NOTHING. Blank mind. Quiet. No music. No computer. NOTHING.
I guess in a sense its basically meditation. At first it was hard...then I became anxious so it got harder. Then slowly it got a little fuzzy... I'm assuming if I continue on like this I might actually consider 120 seconds. Why is it that we feel that we need to be in a constant state of action - or thrive on it? I was talking to a dear friend this week about the Italian concept of dolce far niente - the sweetness of doing nothing. Why don't we as Americans have such a thing? Z and I set up this project to challenge ourselves into eventual and unexpected design, so... this is my challenge... this week and forever.

0 comments:

Post a Comment